We are still in the middle of the winter and soups are part of our daily menu. Fish is a basic component of the Mediterranean diet and making fish soup sets the scene for a winning combination.
The culinary recipe that will be provided in not only a Mediterranean culinary recipe but it uses fish from the Mediterranean Sea thus making it twice attractive and interesting. The addition of Mediterranean culinary herbs and spices is just what is needed to make the soup tasty, attractive and appealing to every taste while at the same time providing all the nutritional benefits of the med diet. The nutritional benefits of fish are explained in our article Mediterranean diet – the fish element.
The Preparation time is 25 minutes and cooking time is 30 minutes and it serves 4 people.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small leek (0.5 lbs), halved, sliced thinly
- 1 small red capsicum (0.4 lbs), cut into small pieces
- 1 small red onion (0.25 lbs), halved, sliced thinly
- 1 trimmed celery stalk (0.25 lbs), cut into small pieces
- 1 small carrot (0.2 lbs), cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups (16 oz) water
- 3 cups (24 oz) fish stock
- ¼ cup (2 oz) dry white wine
- 2 large tomatoes (0.4 lbs), chopped coarsely
- 0.5 lbs uncooked small king prawns
- 0.5 lbs kinless blue-eye fillet, chopped coarsely
- 0.5 lbs skinless trout fillet, chopped coarsely
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
1. Heat oil in large saucepan, cook garlic, leek, capsicum, onion, celery, carrot, rind and chili, stirring until vegetables soften.
2. Add paste, the water, stock, wine and tomato, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, shell and devein all prawns, chop meat coarsely. Add prawn meat, fish, thyme and half the dill to soup, simmer uncovered, about 3 minutes or until prawn and fish are cooked.
4. Serve bowls of soup sprinkled with remaining dill.