The Salad is part of the Mediterranean diet. When looking at the Mediterranean diet pyramid we can see the vegetables and couscous in the ‘’very often category’’ and the feta white cheese in the ‘’eat often category’’. Taking the challenge and mixing these and other basic components of the Med diet we can have a nice and easy to cook salad.
Couscous is one of people’s favourite cheats. It is so easy to cook. If you also toss in some roasted vegetables too, you would be on your way to a very satisfying salad dish. The following recipe is for 4 servings, it will need about 5 minutes of preparation time and 25 minutes of cook time, thus in just 30 minutes you will be serving 4 people.
Roasted vegetable couscous salad
1 lb pack of Mediterranean vegetables
0.5 lb of Couscous
14 oz of vegetable stock, hot
3 tbsp sweet balsamic dressing
1/3 lb of Greek feta white cheese, crumbled
¼ lbs vine tomatoes, washed and quartered
Some fresh coriander, washed, leaves picked and chopped
The Execution Method
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit, gas mark 6. Tip the vegetables onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a dry frying pan until hot, add the couscous and toast for 2-3 minutes, tossing the pan gently, until the grains go slightly golden.
- Transfer to a bowl and pour over the hot stock. Cover with Clingfilm and set aside for 10 mins.
- Fluff up the couscous grains with a fork, and then stir through the dressing, feta, tomatoes, coriander and roasted vegetables.
- Season to taste and serve
This salad is filling enough to be a main dish and at the same it is good for your health. Enjoy.